Friday, June 15, 2012

Girl gymnast from India’s northern state aspires to win laurels at championship in Russia


Girl gymnast from India's northern state aspires to win laurels at championship in Russia

JUNE 13, 2012
 Varanasi (ANI)   By Girish Kumar Dubey
 
A girl gymnast, Gitanjali, hailing from Varanasi of India's northern state of Uttar Pradesh aspires to win laurels at the International Children's Gymnastic Championship in Russia.

Though her circumstances did not favour her, she practised gymnastics with great dedication and went on to fulfil her dream.

Gitanjali appeared to be confident and learnt all the required techniques, as she is the chosen representative for the tournament.

"I am going for the championship and I am sure I will get a medal and will make my parents proud. I am going to Russia for the championship; I am working very hard for this. I have learnt turns, back lifts and cut fronts," said Gitanjali, a gymnast.

She encouraged all other gymnasts to move ahead and to excel in this field. Even though her family was reeling under severe poverty, she did not let the adverse circumstances prevent her from accomplishing her goal.

"I want that everyone should play like me and aspire to learn the way I have learnt and make everyone proud," she said.

Her mother and other relatives could not stop gushing about how persevering and meticulous she has been, since her tender years.

Gitanjali collected funds for her training by engaging in pottery and doing other jobs with an aim to achieve her goal.

"She has always been good and she has always excelled in sports more than academics. It is a happy moment for us and we want that that she should move ahead. We want that she should do everything very well. She was engaged in pottery and she collected money to fund her training," said Malti, Gitanjali's mother.

In a country like India, there is no dearth of talent, but abject poverty and lack of training results in disinterest among aspiring sportsmen.


Intro

A girl gymnast, Gitanjali, hailing from India's northern state of Uttar Pradesh aspires to win laurels at the International Children's Gymnastic Championship in Russia.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL

Shotlist

VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (JUNE 13, 2012) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (ANI-NO ACCESS BBC)

1. A GIRL GYMNAST, GITANJALI, WALKING

2. GITANJALI PERFORMING GYMNASTICS

3. GITANJALI PERFORMING

4. GITANJALI STANDING

5. GITANJALI STANDING WITH OTHER CHILDREN

6. GITANJALI STANDING

7. FEET OF CHILDREN STANDING

8. GITANJALI STANDING

9. GITANJALI POSING FOR A PHOTOGRAPH WITH OTHER CHILDREN

10.(SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) GITANJALI, A GYMNAST, SAYING:

"I am going for the championship and I am sure I will get a medal and will make my parents proud. I am going to Russia for the championship; I am working very hard for this. I have learnt turns, back lifts and cut fronts."

11. GITANJALI WEARING A GOLD MEDAL

12. (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) GITANJALI, A GYMNAST, SAYING:

"I want that everyone should play like me and aspire to learn the wayI have learnt and make everyone proud."

13. A MEDAL

14. MEDALS ON DISPLAY

15. GITANJALI WALKING

16. EXTERIOR OF A HUT

17. GITANJALI STANDING

18. GITANJALI WITH HER MOTHER

19. (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) MALTI, GITANJALI'S MOTHER, SAYING:

"She has always been good and she has always excelled in sports more than academics. It is a happy moment for us and we want that that she should move ahead. We want that she should do everything very well. She was engaged in pottery and she collected money to fund her training."

20. GITANJALI ARRANGING CERAMIC BOWLS

21. GITANJALI SITTING, ARRANGING CERAMIC BOWLS

No comments:

Post a Comment