Thursday, October 28, 2010

Child prodigy praised for her tailoring skills

Child prodigy praised for her tailoring skills

                                                         By Girish Kumar Dubey
Thursday, October 11, 2007 | MP
Mirzapur (Uttar Pradesh), Oct.11 (ANI): At an age when kids are found making new friends at the neighbourhood or school, five-year-old Sheelu Mishra of Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh is teaching students of her mother's age. Youngest of five of her siblings, Sheelu, a student of Lower Kindergarten, had to take up the job to support her family. Today,
 
she teaches tailoring to girls quite older to her for two hours daily.She learnt the skills from her mother Asha when she used to teach tailoring-skills to others at their tailoring-centre. "My mother used to teach other girls and that's how I picked up tailoring. I can make blouse, petticoat, under garments, simple frock, umbrella frock, pyjamas, pant, and shirt," said Sheelu.It's been one year since Sheelu has been teaching. Asha, Sheelu's mother, says she is so happy that her daughter picked up tailoring skills at such a young age."When I was unwell, I was worried how would I run my tailoring-centre.
 
At that time she (Sheelu) said she would do it. I asked her how you will do it. She said I have learnt all and can sew anything. I asked her to show and she made a cutting on the paper," said Asha.Sheelu's students say that they have complete faith in her and they don't mind learning the skills of tailoring from a child."When I came here for first time I asked auntie (Sheelu's mother Asha) for tailoring skills. But she was not keeping on well and there was no one to handle teaching.
 
 At that time Sheelu (the kid) said she would teach me," said Suman Pandey, Sheelu's student.Sheelu, at present, teaches twenty four girls in the age group of 12 to 42 at the tailoring center. And, she charges rupees 50 per student besides the enrollment fees of rupees sixty five. (ANI)

No comments:

Post a Comment